ATTENTION: CO-OP DIRECTORS, CHILD NUTRITION DIRECTORS
The purpose of this memo is to provide information regarding reporting requirements for the Community Eligibility Provision (CEP). Section 104(a) of the Healthy, Hunger Free Kids Act of 2010 amended the Richard B. Russell National School Lunch Act to provide the Community Eligibility Provision as an alternative to household applications for free and reduced price meal eligibility in high poverty Local Educational Agencies (LEAs) and schools.
All LEAs are annually required to report the percentage of Identified Students as of April 1 in EACH school in the LEA to the Arkansas Department of Education (ADE), Child Nutrition Unit (CNU).
Identified Students: The law defines Identified Students as “students certified for free meals based on documentation of benefit receipt or categorical eligibility as described in 7 CFR 245.6a(c)(2)…” Students who are directly certified for free meals based on Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP), students who are categorically eligible for free meals based on homeless, runaway, migrant, foster, Head Start, and Even Start.
- Identified Students Includes: other students in the household of a SNAP directly certified student.
- Identified Students DOES NOT INCLUDE: students who are eligible based on submission of a SNAP meal application or income application.
Districts should gather the following documents to complete the report.
- Direct certification lists for 2016 – 17. Pulls were made on August 5, 2016, September 19, 2016, January 18, 2017 and March 13, 2017.
- Categorical lists pulled on April 3, 2017. Each list should be signed and dated by the district coordinator.
- Cognos Report: APSCN Meal Status Report for Selected Date (April 3, 2017)
- School Enrollment Roster pulled on April 3, 2017
- Cognos Report: Family Address List Report
- Direct Certification – Instant Match dated April 3 or earlier
- Any documentation that allows a student not on the DC list to be classified as “4” in the meal status report.
April 17th Notification and Data Collection:
There are two levels of data required to complete the notification process: (1) district-level eligibility data provided to LEAs by State agencies; and (2) school-level eligibility data provided to State agencies by LEAs.
Reporting Percentage of Identified Students by School to ADE CNU:
Attachment A - 2017 CEP District Notification Report provides the LEA the district-wide percentage of Identified Students based on FNS-742 Verification Collection Report and the FNS-834 State Agency (NSLP/SNAP) Direct Certification Rate Data Element Report, submitted by LEA SY2015-2016. THIS INFORMATION INDICATES IDENTIFIED STUDENTS FOR OCTOBER 1, 2016.
Attachment B - 2017 CEP School Level Annual Notification Report: This is the form the LEA must submit to ADE CNU by April 17, 2017. Please read the instructions tab as well as the instructions on the top of the form carefully. The form must be completed and emailed to ADE CNU at firstname.lastname@example.org no later than April 17, 2017.
By May 1 of each year, ADE CNU is required to publish the lists of eligible and near-eligible LEAs and schools on the ADE CNU website and submit these lists to the Food and Nutrition Service (FNS) for publication on FNS’ CEP website.
A - 2017 CEP District Notification Report
B - 2017 CEP School Level Annual Notification Report