ATTENTION: CO-OP DIRECTORS, CHILD NUTRITION DIRECTORS, FEDERAL PROGRAMS
All Arkansas School Food Authorities (SFAs) receiving federal funds from the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) for the administration of district child nutrition meal programs are required to submit an annual school district FNS-742 Verification Collection Report to the Arkansas Department of Education (ADE) Child Nutrition Unit (CNU). The Child Nutrition Unit is required to submit the statewide data compiled from the district collection reports to USDA.
Standard Sampling (Formerly Called Error Prone Sampling)
Attached is a list of school districts that are required to complete verification using standard sampling. Guidelines for standard sampling may be downloaded from the “Important Information” tab on the Child Nutrition website. SFAs were selected for standard sampling based on:
- 2016-2017 Non-response rate of verified applications, or
- Errors were discovered in the district’s verification process, or
- Administrative Review findings involving the SFA’s verification process.
How to Complete Verification
Follow the step-by-step guide to the verification process, go to the Child Nutrition webpage at http://www.arkansased.gov/divisions/child-nutrition-unit click the “Important Information” tab and scroll to #2. “Verification”. The deadline for completion of all verification activities is Wednesday, November 15, 2017.
Each SFA (including special provision SFAs) must report to ADE CNU the summary of verification results by using the FNS-742 Verification Collection Report. The FNS-742 Verification Collection Report is in Excel format. The form should be downloaded from the Child Nutrition webpage and renamed using the SFA’s local education agency (LEA) number.
Each SFA must submit one report for the entire district. In order to complete the FNS-742 Verification Collection Report, a school district will need the following:
- Total number of applications and students approved for free meals based on a SNAP (formerly Food Stamps) case number
- Total number of applications and students approved for free meals based on household size and income
- Total number of applications and students approved for reduced-price meals
- Total number of students directly certified (Homeless, Migrant, Direct Certification, Foster)
- Results of verification by application – Application Tracker
The FNS-742 Verification Collection Report contains three pages in the Excel workbook:
- Instructions for completing the FNS-742 Verification Collection Report
- FNS-742 Verification Collection Report
- Application Data Sheet with Instructions
FNS-742 Verification Collection Report
The deadline for submitting the district’s FNS-742 Verification Collection Report to ADE CNU is Friday, December 15, 2017. Please see revised Verification Timeline for 2017 attached to this memo.
- Refer the Child Nutrition webpage, “Important Information” tab for step-by-step instructions on completion of the verification process.
- Refer to section 6 in the 2017 Eligibility Manual for School Meals
- Check and Re-Check the number of applications to be verified. Remember to always round up when determining the number of applications to verify. Normal rounding procedures are NOT used.
- If pre-school students are on free and reduced meal applications those applications are subject to verification and are part of the total application count.
- If pre-school students are on categorically eligible lists, and the student meals are claimed for reimbursement from ADE CNU, the students ARE reported on the FNS- 742
- Do not pull extra applications “just in case” for verification
- Complete verification tracker for all applications verified, including verification for cause. Attach a copy of the meal application verified as well as all verification documentation submitted by the household.
- Print completed FNS-742 Verification Collection Report for SFA documentation
- Save completed FNS-742 Verification Collection Report to desktop
Email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The body of the email MUST include:
- District Name
- District LEA Number
- Name of verification contact person
- Phone number of verification contact person
Attach the completed FNS-742 - ADE Verification Collection Report
The district will receive a bounce back email that the report has been received.
STOP! PRINT this email for audit purposes. This is your documentation that the report has been submitted by the deadline. When the SFA receives the automatic reply, no additional action is required on behalf of the SFA. The SFA will be notified by phone or email if additional information is needed or if there is an issue with the completed and submitted FNS-742 Verification Collection Report. If the SFA is required to submit additional information or a revision of the form, there will NOT be additional automatic replies for subsequent emails.
For assistance with completing the FNS-742 Verification Collection Report or any verification activity, call the SFA’s assigned child nutrition area specialist, Donna Ratliff or Susie Ward at (501) 324-9502.
2017-2018 Standard Sample List
Verification Timeline 2017
FNS-742Verification Collection Report
2017 Verification Tracker