ATTENTION: CO-OP DIRECTORS, CHILD NUTRITION DIRECTORS, WELLNESS COMMITTEE CHAIRS
The purpose of this memo is to provide guidance for school wellness committees when completing the School Health Index (SHI) Assessment. Pursuant to Arkansas Code 20-7-135(e)(1) and the Rules Governing Nutrition, Physical Activity, and BMI; every school district shall annually assess each school campus using the SHI Assessment for Physical Activity, Healthy Eating and a Tobacco-Free Lifestyle using the following modules.
- Module 1 - School Health Policies and Environment
- Module 2 - Health Education
- Module 3 - Physical Education and/or Other Physical Activity Programs
- Module 4 - Nutrition Services
- Module 10 - Family Engagement (formerly Module 8)
- Module 11 - Community Involvement (formerly Module 8)
The “Plan for Improvement” portion of the SHI should then be used to review the results of the assessment and develop health and wellness goals that will be incorporated into the school level improvement plan.
The SHI Assessment may be completed online or on paper. The assessment tool is available here: https://www.cdc.gov/healthyschools/shi/.
The following links provide additional information and resources to assist with implementing school wellness committees: