ATTENTION: SUPERINTENDENTS, ASSISTANT SUPERINTENDENTS, CHILD NUTRITION DIRECTORS
The purpose of this memo is to provide guidance on the training pathways for new Child Nutrition Directors. The attached training pathways flow chart is designed to assist school districts and Child Nutrition Directors in making decisions about training requirements.
School districts must employ a Child Nutrition Director to oversee the management of the United States Department of Agriculture Child Nutrition Programs. The hiring standards of Child Nutrition Directors vary based on the size of the school district, and the training requirements of those individuals vary based on which fund is used to pay the director’s salary.
New Child Nutrition Directors and their supervisors should read the Arkansas Department of Education (ADE) Rules Governing the Certification of Child Nutrition Directors and the United States Department of Agriculture Professional Standards for Child Nutrition Directors to understand all hiring and training requirements. Both resources are attached.
The Arkansas Department of Education (ADE), Child Nutrition Unit offers a variety of training and professional development opportunities for new Child Nutrition Directors throughout the school year, including:
· Monthly Digital Learning Webinars;
· Team Up for School Nutrition Success Retreat each April;
· Culinary Directions Part 1 Training each June (formally called Managers Part 1);
· Culinary Directions Part 2 Training each June (formally called Managers Part 2);
· Culinary Directions for Directors each July (formally called Directors Training);
· Directors Conference each July; and
· Additional training opportunities are announced via Commissioner’s Memo.
New Child Nutrition Directors may access the following training resources any time at no cost:
· The Institute of Child Nutrition eLearning Portal
· Connect2Digital Child Nutrition Online Modules
· The Child Nutrition Unit Website – including regulations, guidance, and resources
· ADE Commissioner’s Memos – New Child Nutrition Directors are encouraged to subscribe to the ADE Commissioner’s Memo distribution list.
If you need additional guidance, please contact the ADE, Child Nutrition Unit at (501) 324-9502.