The Arkansas Governor’s School (AGS) will be hosted at Arkansas Tech University, Russellville, Arkansas from July 5, 2020 - August 1, 2020. The Arkansas Department of Education (ADE), Division of Elementary and Secondary Education (DESE) is currently accepting faculty applications from educators and other professionals for teaching positions at the 2020 AGS in three broad areas:
Area I - Academics and Arts: Choral Music, Drama, Instrumental Music, English/Language Arts, Mathematics, Natural Sciences, Social Sciences, Visual Arts, and Cybersecurity
Area II - General Conceptual Development: focuses on the nature of knowledge and epistemology
Area III - Personal and Social Development: fosters the personal and social development necessary for students to benefit fully from their Area I and Area II classes along with the cultural and social events of the Arkansas Governor's School.
Those interested in applying for positions should exemplify the following qualities:
- An extensive knowledge of subject areas
- Familiarity with theories, concepts, and practices in area(s) of expertise
- The ability to convey, with enthusiasm, the nature of the search for understanding, and to help students gain skills necessary to join in that quest
- An eagerness to participate in activities outside the classroom with students and other faculty
- The ability to communicate effectively with high school students of high potential
- The expertise to facilitate classroom interaction and discussion
Appointments to the AGS faculty are for one summer term.
Applicants should submit an Arkansas Governor's School Faculty Application Cover Sheet, a letter of application describing qualifications, curriculum ideas, and teaching style; a current curriculum vitae; and a list of three references to:
Office of Gifted and Talented
Division of Elementary and Secondary Education
Four Capital Mall, Mail Slot 28
Little Rock, AR 72201
Job descriptions for each AGS position, instructions for the faculty application process, and the Arkansas Governor’s School Faculty Application Cover Sheet can be found at https://www.atu.edu/ags. The application deadline is January 1, 2020.