The Division of Elementary and Secondary Education invites all school districts to participate in the “Holiday Cards 4 Our Military” Challenge (HCMC).
HCMC is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization created in 2017. The goal of the HCMC is to provide holiday cards for as many active duty military service members as possible. Arkansas is only the second state to join the challenge officially; however, schools in seven states and the District of Columbia have provided cards for the challenge.
To assure that all cards are acceptable for shipping and delivery to military personnel, please use the following guidelines when creating cards:
1. Please address the card to “Dear Warrior.”
2. Write a holiday greeting, keeping in mind that our troops are diverse in their holiday practices and beliefs.
3. Write a personal note. For example: How do you celebrate the holidays? What are your family memories of holidays? The troops enjoy learning about things that happen in your hometown or region of the country. The messages can be serious or funny or both, always keeping in mind that appropriate language and wording are important.
4. Sign your first name ONLY and the town and state where you live.
5. Optional things to help build a connection could include: If you are currently, or have been, in the military; if you are a member of a club such as Lions or Rotary groups; if you are an elected official or a first responder; etc.
6. If your card is homemade, please keep the size to no larger than an 8 x 11 size piece of paper folded in half.
7. Do not be concerned if you do not have an envelope; cards will be mailed as a group. If you have an envelope, please do NOT seal it, There is no need to address the outside of the envelope, but feel free to decorate the envelope if you want to do so.
A set of writing prompts for students is attached.
School districts should collect completed cards and mail them together to:
Holiday Card Challenge
Attn: Dr. Laura Landerman-Garber
P.O. Box 103
Hollis, NH 03049
Boxes of cards should be postmarked by November 11, 2020, (Veterans Day), in order to ensure timely delivery to service members.
School districts are requested to report the number of cards mailed to John Kaminar, DESE Military and Veterans Liaison, at email@example.com.